9.19.2006

Dodging the infertility bullet


When Annie was about a year and a half old, I had a miscarriage. I had planned that I might get pregnant so that Annie would have a sibling 2 years younger than her. Just as with Annie, I got pregnant right away. To make a long story short, the pregnancy was never quite right and it ended about 7 weeks in.

Afterwards, my body started doing some pretty funky things in the womanly bizness department. Periods that had come right on time since puberty started showing up late. I bled at strange times. I wanted to get pregnant again as soon as possible but my body was telling me to chill. Dude, you're coming up on 40, it said. So I started worrying.

I also started a pen-and-paper journal where I wrote things like: I am scared and pessimistic and hopeful and doubtful. And: If I am never to be a mom again I understand that I am already blessed in spades. And then cryptic infertility codes like: A positive OPK last night which means I o today or tomorrow which means if I get AF when abada abadoo blah blah blargh.

I started reading things and did things like take my temperature each morning and pee on certain sticks that would increase my chances of conceiving. I joined a group of women online who were trying to become pregnant but they were all so young and all got pregnant so quickly that I had to leave. I complained to my friend O constantly until she got pregnant and then I just felt jeaous and small that I couldn't be happier for her. I ignored Brian's admonishings that I was worrying over nothing and that it would take time and everything would be okay. As revenge, I had him get his whatnots counted and evaluated. Wait, no, the doctor recommended that. They were fine. actually, I believe supersonic was the medical term (HI BRIAN!).

My doctor prescribed clomid. It made me cranky and then pregnant. Mary came April of this year, just about a year after the baby I had initially hoped for was due.

Yes, it did take my minor run-in with infertility to really be able to empathize with couples who try years to have a baby. Though I adored Annie from the moment I laid eyes on her, it has been Mary who has shaken the last vestige of the non-mom me from my body and replaced it with a love and appreciation purer than I had known before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I myself went through something similar. I had a miscarriage between my two children as well.

In May of 1999 I got pregnant. I was excited that I would have kids very close in age (18 months apart). Instead I found at a 10 week ultrasound that I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks. I was leaving on a cruise at the end of the week, so I said you need to schedule the D & C for this week.

I wasn't as upset about it as my family was. I found myself comforting them. I just knew that it wasn't in God's plan for now.

Sam would have been turning 1-1/2 in February of 2000 (when my due date was). Ironically, my cousin (who I am very close with) got pregnant right after I found out about the miscarriage.

I got pregnant again in April of 2000. This time I was kind of nervous about something going wrong. We didn't tell anyone until at least 15 weeks!

Anthony and I had always talked about adopting (before we got married). I didn't want Sam to be an only child.

Anyway, in January of 2001 Justin was born. I know that God's plan was carried out. I couldn't imagine this life without the two children that I am blessed with!